Saturday 29 August 2015

Surviving GCSEs...

I know a lot of my viewers are either starting their GCSEs this year (year 10) or are in their final GCSE year (year 11) and so I thought since I finished year 11 in June, that writing a post like this would be helpful to quite a few of you.

What I’m going to do is summarise everything down into key points so it doesn’t get too rambly – even though I know it will because I have so much to say – but I guess that way it’ll be easier for you to read and take in. I hope this helps some of you out at this mega important time!

Don’t Panic

When I was starting year 10 and even more so, year 11, I was absolutely terrified. I only had one GCSE to complete in year 10 compared to 9 in year 11, but the idea of one absolutely terrified me even at that stage. By year 11, well I was past myself by that point. I’m not a great example here, staying calm about it is key because as soon as you start to panic you lose all rational thoughts and that isn’t going to help you at all.
Don’t get yourself in a flap about anything because you will regret it later. Everything will be fine if you chill out, it might not be fine if you freak yourself out over everything. It’s only stressful if you make it stressful. Keep on top of yourself and keep a good grip of yourself. That sounds awful, but sometimes you just need someone to say, ‘get a grip’ to put you back into the real world and see sense again. You will be okay, I promise.

Stay Organised

This is my key to life, never mind GCSEs. Staying organised is your best bet to passing, aside from studying obviously. Get notebooks for different subjects, files, post its, highlighters whatever you need to be confident that you are organised. School will probably give you exercise books or folders to put you things in I would imagine, my school did but if you feel you need more than what they have given you then go out and get it.
Think of it this way, well actually, I’m sure there’s a quote that says something about a tidy desk is a tidy mind or something along those lines. Keep your workspace organised and your mind will be organised too. Some of my teachers know me for being so organised, which I guess you could say is a good thing because sometimes it’s obsessive… I’m sure I have OCD where my school work is concerned.

Ask Someone

The worst thing you can do during your GCSEs if your stuck is sit there and do nothing, struggle through by yourself trying to teach yourself about phototropism or titration or algebra for goodness sake if you don’t understand. You most likely won’t get anywhere on your own and you’ll only get stressed and frustrated. Your teachers are there to be asked questions, it’s what they’re paid to do! Beside what you think, they have your best interest at heart and they want to help you because they want you to do well and pass the exam.
I was so bad for this through most of my GCSEs and I honestly regret it so much, I just wanted to be able to say that I’d worked it out and felt like I had to do everything on my own, but I didn’t. Even asking a friend can sometimes be enough, we all understand different things more than others so asking a classmate could be your key to understanding, and you don’t always have to go to a teacher. However, going to someone is always highly recommended.

Attend Your Classes

This goes without saying really, actually go to your lessons and be on time. So many people seem to think that skipping classes is “cool” but let me tell you, GCSEs are not to be messed with. This is not the time to mess about, you’re probably told this at school all the time but it’s true. All through your school life, skipping class is never acceptable but at this time it’s really not a good choice. It might be a bit forward and shocking to say and think about but these grades will affect you for the rest of your life, they will determine what you do with your career. Don’t screw it up. You’ve worked since the age of 5 for this so don’t ruin it now.
Obviously sometimes we can’t help being a few minutes late to a lesson, but avoid it where you can because at the end of the day it’s your time you’re wasting, no one else’s. This is your chance so make it your best chance because if you don’t you will regret it later. I know peer pressure and popularity seems like the most important thing at this age, so cutting class would be the perfect way to make people think you’re the bee’s knees, I promise you it isn’t. No one thinks that so get a grip and sort yourself out! Wow I sound so much like a teacher, I’m sorry…

Actually Listen

I think this goes without saying as well, you go to a lesson to learn, not to take a nap or daydream about what you’re going to have for lunch. Pay attention because there isn’t time to go over absolutely everything in this much detail right before the exams. Yes, there is time for revision with teachers but they physically won’t be able to go through everything that is in a 2 year course in 6 months before the exam, it isn’t possible. Things will get missed out and some things will be summarised so during lessons listen and write down as much as you possibly can because you will need it later on.
There is also a lot of information about exams and content etc. given in lessons, revision sessions and other things like this will be talked about and if you miss that information you will miss out on those opportunities and you don’t want to do that I swear to you.

Revise

Again, another obvious one but so many people think revision is flicking through your notes and the revision guide the night before the exam, it’s not. It’s much more than that. Revision should start months before your exams, and it should be thorough. You are in charge by this point, your teachers can tell you to revise every day but it’s up to you to actually do it. It’s up to you how you revise, everyone learns in a different way you just have to find the best method for you.
You will probably also find that your school holds revision sessions for different subjects and I can’t hound you enough to go to them. I didn’t miss many when I was doing my exams. It may mean coming in an hour early, leaving an hour late or giving up your lunch break but it will all be worth it in the end. Some of you will find you don’t get coursework to go towards your grade so it all depends on you exam, I believe that’s the year 10s now if I’m thinking right, sorry to scare you kids. But, this makes it even more important for you to go to sessions like this and revise as much as you possibly can. I’m dreadfully sorry you don’t get the advantage of coursework… It’s my favourite thing, I feel awful that they changed the rules!

Surround Yourself With Good People

At this point in your life you haven’t got time for people who are trying to put you down or cause arguments within the friend group, this is your time to get your best chance in life and you can’t let anyone ruin it. Surround yourself with people you know aren’t going to distract you and are going to be there for you when the stressful exam season comes round because you will need that support system during that busy time, it helps so much to have your nearest and dearest there to help you through.
My friends and I often had study dates at our local library, at school before an exam or at each other’s houses on weekends and things like that which was nice because we were all able to help each other. We also went to Costa for study dates, so it can be extremely tasty too. Just make sure you actually do work, have fun too but have fun less than working if you get what I mean… Do more work than mess about is what I’m saying, you know what I mean!



I hope you found this helpful or could relate to this if you have also just finished year 11! I’m about to start year 12 and I’m going to apply these tips to A Levels, so maybe you could too! 

What tips do you have for new year 11s?

Love, Becca
-xoxo

20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I'm feeling kinda worried already about year 12 (year 11 in England ahha) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 110% sure you'll be fine! I'm glad you feel this was helpful :) x

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with all of this Becca, particularly about the listening, I often found myself staring out of the windows and losing track completely... Great post!

    Nia xx
    Nia Elinor Mair | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have those moments! It's just trying your best not to let those moments completely take over that's hard! Thanks Nia, glad you agree with me :) x

      Delete
  3. This is will be guide to survival for the next year now! (As well as our endless conversations!) When did you start revision? Im trying to plan ahead for the next year now! Loved this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrote it with you in mind ;) I was really naughty and didn't start revising until after my mocks in March... I would advise starting in January at the absolute latest x

      Delete
  4. Great post - all this advice is so useful! I did my gcses 2 years ago and followed these pieces of advice and it was worth it!!

    - Jess xxx

    Heyitisjess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really helpful post, I go into year 11 this year and I really want to do well. I'm definitely going to use your tips.

    Tash xx
    www.skindeep247.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think this is useful and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine next year! Always here if you need any advice x

      Delete
  6. So helpful! I’m going into year 11 and I’m on the verge of a massive breakdown hahah, I just really want to stay organised this year and revise a lot! Great tips

    Ambra x fridaysarefab.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be fine! Follow these tips and I promise you'll be brill ;) x

      Delete
  7. Haha wish I had 'actually listened' in french ^_-, great tips though! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have one subject where we just aren't with it.. X

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for this post, I'm terrified about going into year 11. I definitely do need to stop being shy and start asking teachers or peers for help if I don't understand anything- I just like to think I can figure it out myself.
    Dalal x monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! You'll be fine honestly, there's so much pressure and it's not necessary. Believe in yourself and do the best you can x

      Delete
  9. I'm dreading gsce's, but this helped ease my mind a bit, thank you so much for posting! Super well written as always :)

    Edie x
    thelifeofedie.blogspot.co.uk


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be fine Edie, and you have all of us there for advice! Thanks chick x

      Delete
  10. Even though I've done my GCSE's I still read this and everything you have said is so true! Especially surrounding yourself with good people, all of my friends were so studious and it encouraged me to revise as well, I don't think I would have done half as much if it weren't for them! I bet this is going to be such a useful post for everyone as well (I say 'I bet' but I already know it is from seeing the comments ahah)x
    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree Libby! It definitely helps having studious friends, hopefully it will help people stay motivated and keep going :) x

      Delete

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC