Friday 24 July 2015

Review | The Maze Runner Sequel

This is a post I've been promising to write since about Christmas? Which was when I received the first 3 books and so I promised a full review of the sequel once I had finished, so now I'm finished, here it is! 


So the sequel consists of 4 books, including the prequel:

The Maze Runner
The Scorch Trials
The Death Cure
The Kill Order (prequel)

They are written by James Dashner who honestly, I didn't know of before I read these books. However, now having read these 4 books I would definitely consider reading more of his work if the topic of the book interested me. 

At first I wasn't too sure if I was going to enjoy them, but I had heard so many good things about the first book more specifically, and of course I couldn't just leave it after the first book the way things end!
The books carry a really good, but realistically quite far fetched story line. But we all love a bit of far fetched stuff in books, that's the fun of fiction!

Anyway, enough rambling I'm going to discuss each book in a little bit of detail, but without giving the whole story away! 

The Maze Runner
Thomas has had all of his memories wiped, the only thing he knows is his name. He arrives in a place very unfamiliar where hundreds of other teenage boys are living, the Glade. Thomas goes through a lot to befriend the other boys in the Glade being the newbie and all. 
None of the other boys know where they are, or why they're there. All they know is they've been put there by someone and there's no way out unless you find your way out of the maze, but who can find their way out?


So that's all I'm going to really say about the plot line because I don't want to give too much away! I really enjoyed this, I honestly couldn't put it down which for me is always a good thing about a book. I was constantly wanting to read on, every chapter leaves you on a huge cliffhanger making it impossible to read any less than "just one more".
There is also a huge plot twist at the end which I won't go into much detail about because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it, but because of that plot twist I moved straight onto book 2 after finishing book 1 because I couldn't wait to find out more! 
This has of course been made into a film, which I actually haven't seen. I wanted to read all of the books before I let myself watch any of the films, I don't know why but if there's a book and a film the book always comes first with me. Anyone else like that? Let me know what the film is like if you've seen it! And if you have seen the film but you haven't read the book, give it a read. I always find things that are in the book are always missed out in the film so see what's different! 

The Scorch Trials
So they thought they'd finished when they escaped the maze, but then another challenge is thrown their way, but why? They spend most of their time travelling through the next challenge and wondering why and who put them there. 
They end up back in the real world, but it's not how they thought it would be because of the Sun Flares, and the Flare - an infection that is wiping out the human race, quickly. 
It's a matter of life and death, but all of the Gladers stick together to survive and protect each other. Frightened they're going to become just as mentally disturbed as the people infected by the Flare.


Again, I absolutely loved the second book. Kept me hooked all the way through and again I found it really hard to put down. There is always something new happening that keeps you right on the edge of your seat all the way through. 
All the way through you're trying to work it out yourself, which for some people may be frustrating but I actually like books where I actually have to try and get my head around the situation myself in order to understand what's going on. It makes me feel much more involved, and this book does just that. 
You begin to connect with Thomas and some of the other main characters, there are even some moments that tug on the heart strings, which I wasn't expecting for books like this. 
Some people say this book in the series dragged for them a little bit, and I can understand that in a way but I guess that all depends on how emotionally involved you are in the story and with the characters. In case you haven't already guessed, when I read a book I literally feel like I'm a character in it and I probably get into it a little bit too much sometimes...

The Death Cure
Now that the trials are over, the Gladers have the option to have their memories completely restored, but who will take the offer? However, after reading the other 2 books and this one, Thomas has already started to remember things from his life before the Glade and he remembers more than he can handle, though WICKED don't know that. 
How many of the Gladers will survive the Flare? How many are immune? Do they find a cure for the Flare? 


I wasn't as crazy about this book as I was about the last 2, but I did still really enjoy it. It pretty much answers all of the questions that you have had through the books so far, which is nice because I don't like it when questions are left unanswered. 
I think it ends the series really well by answering all of the questions and getting a happy ending, but I would've maybe liked something at the end like a year later or 10 years later, because it would be nice to know what happens to the characters after the grand finale.
For me, I felt this one out of the 3 dragged the most, but that was only because it took me so long to get through the books due to GCSEs I was starting to get impatient and wanted to know the answers. However, I guess that if you had the time to be reading this for a good length of time each day you'd probably be okay for this, I just get impatient and after 3 books, my patience was being tested a little! Although, having said this I think it was still quite gripping because I kept wanting to read it, I didn't give up on it which is what I do if I'm really just not enjoying a book so that says something I suppose.

The Kill Order (prequel)
So this is based 13 years before Thomas enters the Glade, and it is a story following 2 main characters, Mark and Trina, and some other people too. This is just when the Sun Flares are starting and the Flare has been released causing the virus to spread and get more devastating as it spreads from body to body.
It follows Mark and Trina in the quest to survive and try to help save the world from complete extinction, but how will they do it and how many people have to die before they get there?


This is the one that I just recently finished, as in this week. I honestly can't tell you how disappointed I was with this, that's my honest opinion. The fact that it was about completely different people to the other 3 books to start with really threw me off, but I wanted to keep reading because I wanted an explanation for everything. I assumed it was all going to become obvious like Thomas was Mark and Trina's son or something along those lines, no. I was wrong. 
I actually had to google the ending of this book because I really didn't get the ending of it at all. It skipped forward to when Thomas was taken from his mother but before that some characters went through a Flat Trans but it wasn't explained who they were in relevance to the other 3 books if you get what I mean? 
I now understand after googling it, but it wasn't obvious to me at all and in all honesty, a bit of a let down. It comes out that someone changes their name from The Kill Order to a different name, one of a character in the other 3 books. All very confusing but I guess that's the way he wanted to end his book. I personally was disappointed with it, just like I was with the end of Mockingjay but I guess life goes on, eh.


So that's my review and opinions on all 4 books of the sequel. I hope you enjoyed it. If you've read the books, let me know what you thought, whether you agree with the disappointing ending... If you haven't read them, I recommend you do if you're a bit of a thrill-seeker, but you may want to consider the last book before buying it because as I said, it's about completely different people really, although one of them turns out not to be in the end... Oh well. Give it a try if you fancy it!

Love, Becca
-xoxo



18 comments:

  1. I've read them too! Love love love them!! Just recently I finished reading Kill Order! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think of it? I wasn't that impressed, as you probably guessed from the post haha!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read the books! They sound really good!

    Tash x
    www.skindeep247.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are brilliant, I recommend them as a good summer read! x

      Delete
  3. I love reading I will have to give these a read lovely post as always Becca xx Terica
    Throughtheeyesofterica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make for interesting reading, thank you Terica xx

      Delete
  4. I got the first three books for Christmas, I started reading the first one but just wasn't in the mood for it, but after reading this review I'm going to give them another go! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like them Holly, very thrilling! X

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much! I really needed this review because I was seriously wondering whether to read the other three books.

    thecollectionofknowledge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend you do! They're amazing!!

      Delete
  6. They all sound like an interesting read, I'll have to check them out!

    NJCDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love book reviews! They all sound really interesting - I am tempted to pick them up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really interesting take on the future... I recommend giving the first one a try x

      Delete
  8. I loved the Maze Runner trilogy, I remember waiting for the third book to come out for ages and then a while later hearing about the prequel which I never got round to reading, which now I'm glad I didn't! I get you about the last book wanting a ten years later, like although there's a happy ending I need to know more like does the happy ending last, do they have kids I needed to know more about their happy future after everything that happened!x
    http://libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes oh my gosh thank you someone agrees with me!! The prequel really isn't anything to shout about, but I guess that's how he saw it! xx

      Delete
  9. I loved the first book I read so quickly! I want to read the other ones because I enjoyed the story :) xx

    beautydreamcatcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed the first one I would definitely recommend the others. Amazing storyline x

      Delete

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC